Seoul - Gwanghwamun & Jongno-gu (PDF Chapter)
This is the Gwanghwamun & Jongno-gu chapter from Lonely Planet’s Seoul guidebook.
The focus of this area – and for many visitors, of the whole city – is Seoul’s royal palace compounds. If you want to see hanok (traditional Korean houses) in a real-life neighbourhood, Bukchon makes for a pleasant hour.
- admire the scale and artistry of the largest of Seoul’s palaces Gyeongbokgung, fronted by the grand gateway Gwanghwamun.
- discover Huwon, the serene traditional garden secreted behind the most beautiful of Seoul’s five main palaces.
- learn about Buddhism at Jogye-sa, one of Seoul’s most active temples and epicentre of the spectacular Lotus Lantern festival in May.
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities, Accommodation.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.