Seattle - Understand Seattle & Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
This chapter contains the Seattle Today, History, Way of Life, Music, Transportation and Directory A–Z chapters from Lonely Planet’s Seattle guidebook.
All the info you need on everything from history: yo-yoing fortunes on the way from rambunctious lumber town to high-tech city of the future, to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for gay and lesbian travellers and travellers with disabilities.
- a rundown on the evolution of Seattle in the 2010s that continues at a blinding pace
- info on the short, action-packed story of Seattle’s history
- full coverage of Seattle’s way of life: a city of latte lunches, cutting-edge culture and outdoor fashion that has modestly produced numerous global brands
- details on Seattle’s music, with Ray Charles, Quincy Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Macklemore and more
Coverage includes: Seattle Today: The Sweet Smell of Success, Tackling Inequalities, Transportation Revolution and Grassroots Trends, History: Native Peoples of Puget Sound, New York Pretty Soon, Birth of the City, The Great Fire & the Regrading of Seattle, The War Years and Boeing & Postwar Seattle, Way of Life: What is a Seattleite?, Dealing with Success and Arts, Music: The Jazz Age, From Hendrix to Heart, Grunge – Punk’s West Coast Nirvana and Hip-Hop, Transportation and Directory A–Z.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.