Seattle - Day Trips from Seattle (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from Seattle chapter from Lonely Planet’s Seattle guide-book.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Seattle and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include Bainbridge Island and Snoqualmie Val-ley.
- The ferry ride to bucolic Bainbridge Island off the coast of downtown Seattle is almost as good as the destination itself
- Verdant woods, snaking rivers and pastoral farmland mark Snoqualmie Valley’s landscape east of Seattle where the iconic TV series Twin Peaks was partially filmed
- The unpretentious atmosphere and slower pace of life on Vashon Island is just a short ferry ride from Seattle
- Tacoma isn’t large or as full of attractions as it’s bigger sister city, Seattle, but a handful of choice museums make it worth the drive down
- Fishing villages and stunning state parks wait for you on Whidbey Island, long beloved by vacationing Seattleites
- Instead of waiting for a clear day to sneak a view of massive Mt Rainier, make the 90-mile trip and see it up close
Coverage includes: Bainbridge Island, Snoqualmie Valley, Vashon Island, Tacoma, Whidbey Island, Mt Rainier.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout