Scotland's Highlands & Islands - Walking the West Highland Way (PDF Chapter)
This is the Walking the West Highland Way chapter from Lonely Planet’s Scotland’s Highlands & Islands guidebook.
From the outskirts of Glasgow, the West Highland Way leads through lowland countryside to the shores of Loch Lomond, on the threshold of the Highlands. From there it carries you north, through glens, beside streams and past wild moorland where magnificent mountains are never out of sight.
- soaking up the gorgeous scenery along the bonnie banks of lovely Loch Lomond
- enjoying a well-earned pint of ale in the atmospheric Drover’s Inn at Inverarnan
- reveling in the wild open spaces of bleak but beautiful Rannoch Moor
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Planning, The Walk, Day One: Milngavie to Drymen, Day Two: Drymen to Rowardennan, Day Three: Rowardennan to Inverarnan, Day Four: Inver-arnan to Tyndrum, Day Five: Tyndrum to Kings House Hotel, Day Six: Kings House Hotel to Kinlochleven, and Day Seven: Kinlochleven to Fort William.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.