Scotland's Highlands & Islands - Southern Highlands & Islands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Southern Highlands & Islands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Scotland’s High-lands & Islands guidebook.
Here, sea travel is as important as road and rail - dozens of ferries allow you to island-hop your way from the Firth of Clyde to Oban and beyond, via the whisky distilleries of Islay, the wild moun-tains of Jura and the scenic delights of diminutive Colonsay.
- exploring the lovely lochscapes and accessible walking and cycling routes of the Tros-sachs
- visiting the smoky heavyweights of the whisky world on their peaty home turf of Islay
- blowing away the cobwebs on scenic, activity-packed Isle of Arran
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Loch Lomond & around, Crianlarich & Tyndrum, Helensburgh, Arrochar, The Trossachs, Aberfoyle & around, Lochs Katrine & Achray, Callander, Balquhidder & around, Killin, South Argyll, Cowal, Isle of Bute, Inveraray, Crinan Canal, Kilmartin Glen, Kintyre, Isle of Arran, Isle of Islay, Isle of Jura, Isle of Colonsay, Oban & Mull, Oban & around, Isle of Mull, Isle of Iona, Isle of Tiree, Isle of Coll, North Argyll, Loch Awe, Connel & Taynuilt, Appin & around, and Lismore.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.