Scotland's Highlands & Islands - Southern Highlands & Islands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Southern Highlands & Islands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Scotland’s Highlands & Islands guidebook.
Island-hop from the scenic splendour of Arran to majestic Mull or Tiree’s lonely sands, via the whisky distilleries of Islay, the wild mountains of Jura, the scenic delights of diminutive Colonsay and Oban’s sustainable seafood scene.
- explore the lovely lochscapes and accessible walking and cycling routes of the Tros-sachs
- visit the smoky heavyweights of the whisky world on Islay, their peaty turf
- blow away the cobwebs on scenic, activity-packed Arran
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Loch Lomond & Around, Crianlarich & Tyndrum, Ar-rochar, The Trossachs, South Argyll, Cowal, Bute, Inveraray, Crinan Canal, Kilmartin Glen, Kintyre, Islay, Jura, Colonsay, Arran, Brodick & Around, Corrie & Around, Lochranza & Around, West Coast, South Coast, Lamlash, Oban, Mull, Iona & Tiree, Oban & Around, Mull, Iona, Tiree, Coll, North Argyll, Loch Awe, Connel & Taynuilt.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.