Scotland's Highlands & Islands - Orkney & Shetland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Orkney & Shetland chapter from Lonely Planet’s Scotland’s Highlands & Is-lands guidebook.
For the Vikings, the jaunt across the North Sea from Norway was as easy as a stroll down to the local mead hall and they soon controlled these windswept, treeless archipelagos, laying down longhouses alongside stony remains of ancient prehistoric settlements.
- shaking your head in astonishment at extraordinary Skara Brae and Maes Howe, prehistoric perfection that predates the pyramids
- soaking up the glorious scenery of Hoy and make the hike to the spectacular Old Man of Hoy
- island-hopping the magical Northern Islands of Orkney, where crystal azure waters lap against glittering white-sand beaches
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Orkney, Kirkwall, East Mainland to South Ronaldsay, West & North Mainland, Stromness, Hoy, Northern Islands, Shetland, Lerwick, Bressay & Noss, Central & West Mainland, South Mainland, North Mainland, and The North Isles.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.