Scotland's Highlands & Islands - Orkney & Shetland (PDF Chapter)
was $4.95 USD
This is the Orkney & Shetland chapter from Lonely Planet’s Scotland’s Highlands & Is-lands guidebook.
Up here at Britain’s top end it can feel more Scandinavian than Scottish, and no wonder. An ancient magic hovers in the air above Orkney and Shetland, endowing them with an allure that lodges firmly in the soul.
- shake your head in astonishment at extraordinary prehistoric perfection that predates the pyramids at Skara Brae
- sense the gulf of years in ancient Maeshowe, enlivened by later Viking graffiti
- soak up Hoy’s the glorious scenery and make the hike to the spectacular Old Man of Hoy
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Orkney, Kirkwall, East Mainland & Around, South Ronaldsay & Around, West & North Mainland, Stromness, Hoy, Northern Islands, Shet-land, Lerwick, Bressay & Noss, Scalloway, South Mainland, North Mainland, The North Isles.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.
Scotland's Highlands & Islands - Understand Scotland's Highlands & Islands and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)