Scotland's Highlands & Islands - Northern Highlands & Islands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northern Highlands & Islands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Scotland’s High-lands & Islands guidebook.
Scotland’s vast and melancholy soul is here: an epic land with a stark beauty that indelibly imprints the hearts of those who journey through the mist and mountains, rock and heather. It’s simply magical.
- drive one of Europe’s most spectacularly scenic road trips, the North Coast 500
- gorge on fresh, succulent seafood in delightful Ullapool, with its picture-perfect har-bour
- dip your toes in the water at some of the world’s most beautiful beaches in the Western Isles around Harris
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: East Coast, Strathpeffer, Tain, Bonar Bridge & Around, Lairg & Around, Dornoch, Golspie, Helmsdale, Caithness, Helmsdale to Lybster, Wick, John O’Groats, Mey, Thurso & Scrabster, North & West Coast, Thurso to Durness, Durness, Dur-ness to Ullapool, Ullapool, Ullapool to Kyle of Lochalsh, Kyle of Lochalsh, the Great Glen, Skye, Kyleakin (Caol Acain), Broadford (An T-Ath Leathann), Armadale & Sleat, Isleornsay, Elgol (Ealaghol), Cuillin Hills, Minginish, Portree (Port Righ), Dunvegan (Dun Bheagain), Duirinish & Waternish, Trotternish, Raasay, Outer Hebrides, Lewis (Leodhais), Harris (Na Hearadh), Berneray (Bearnaraigh), North Uist (Uibhist A Tuath), Benbecula (Beinn Na Faoghla), South Uist (Uibhist A Deas), Barra (Barraigh).
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.