Scotland's Highlands & Islands - Inverness & the Central Highlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Inverness & the Central Highlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Scotland’s Highlands & Islands guidebook.
Not surprisingly, this part of the country is an adventure playground for outdoor-sports enthu-siasts. Aviemore, Glen Coe and Fort William draw hill walkers and climbers in summer, and ski-ers, snowboarders and ice climbers in winter.
- hike among the hills, lochs and forests of Glen Affric, Scotland’s most beautiful glen
- wander through ancient Caledonian forest in the heart of the Cairngorms at Rothiemur-chus Estate
- make it to the summit of Ben Nevis, the UK’s highest mountain – and be able to see the view
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Inverness & the Great Glen, Inverness & Around, Black Isle, Loch Ness, The Cairngorms, Aviemore & Around, Grantown-on-Spey, Kingussie & Newtonmore, Tomintoul & Around, Cockbridge & Around, Tomintoul Road, Royal Deeside, The Angus Glens, Highland Perthshire, Dunkeld & Birnam, Pitlochry, Blair Atholl, Lochs Tummel & Rannoch, Aberfeldy, Kenmore, Loch Tay & Ben Lawers, Fortingall, Glen Lyon, West Highlands, Glen Coe, Kinlochleven, Fort William & Around, Ardnamurchan, Road to the Isles, Knoydart, Small Isles, Rum, Eigg, Canna, Muck.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.