Scotland - Southern Scotland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Southern Scotland chapter from Lonely Planet’s Scotland guide-book.
Though wise folk are well aware of its charms, for many people southern Scotland is just something to drive through on the way to northern Scotland. Big mistake. But it does mean you’ll find breathing room here in summer, and peaceful corners.
- explore the noble, evocative ruins of the Border Abbeys – Dryburgh is our favourite – and the area’s other excellent historic sights
- admire the 18th-century architectural genius of Culzean Castle, perched on wild sea cliffs
- ponder the tough old life on the England–Scotland frontier at desolate Hermitage Castle
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Borders Region, Peebles, Melrose & Around, Selkirk, Hawick, Jedburgh, Kelso & Around, Eyemouth, Coldingham & St Abbs, South Lanarkshire, Lanark & New Lanark, Biggar, Ayrshire, Largs, Troon, Ayr, Alloway, Culzean Castle, Crossraguel Abbey, Turnberry, Ailsa Craig, Dumfries & Galloway, Dumfries, Ruthwell Cross, Caerlaverock, New Abbey, Annandale & Eskdale, Castle Douglas & Around, Kirkcudbright, Galloway Forest Park, The Machars, Stranraer, The Rhinns of Galloway, Portpatrick.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation