*Cannot be combined with other offers. No code necessary - automatically added at checkout. See terms.
Scotland - Orkney & Shetland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Orkney & Shetland chapter from Lonely Planet’s Scotland guidebook.
Up here at Britain’s top end it can feel more Scandinavian than Scottish. An ancient magic hovers in the air above Orkney and Shetland, endowing them with an allure that lodges firmly in the soul. These islands reward the journey.
- shake your head in astonishment at Skara Brae, extraordinary prehistoric perfection that predates the pyramids
- sense the gulf of years in Maeshowe, the ancient prehistoric tomb enlivened by later Viking graffiti
- soak up the glorious Hoy scenery and make the hike to the spectacular Old Man of Hoy
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Orkney, Kirkwall, West & North Mainland, Stromness, Hoy, Northern Islands, Shetland, Lerwick, Bressay & Noss, Scalloway, South Mainland, North Mainland and The North Isles.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Limited time only. Join the party and get 2 for 1 on absolutely everything.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.