Scotland - Orkney & Shetland (PDF Chapter)
This is the Orkney & Shetland chapter from Lonely Planet’s Scotland guide-book.
Up here at Britain’s top end it can feel more Scandinavian than Scottish. An ancient magic hovers in the air above Orkney and Shetland, endowing them with an allure that lodges firmly in the soul.
- shake your head in astonishment at extraordinary prehistoric perfection that predates the pyramids at Skara Brae
- sense the gulf of years in the ancient tomb of Maeshowe, enlivened by later Viking graffi-ti
- soak up Hoy’s glorious scenery and make the hike to the spectacular Old Man of Hoy
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Orkney, Kirkwall, East Mainland, South Ronaldsay, West & North Mainland, Stromness, Hoy, Northern Islands, Shetland, Lerwick, Bressay & Noss, Scalloway, South Mainland, North Mainland, The North Isles.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation