Scotland - Inverness & the Central Highlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Inverness & the Central Highlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Scotland guidebook.
Here the landscape is at its grandest, with soaring hills of rock and heather bounded by wooded glens and waterfalls. Aviemore, Glen Coe and Fort William draw hill walkers and climbers in sum-mer, and skiers, snowboarders and ice climbers in winter.
- hike among the hills, lochs and forests of Scotland’s most beautiful glen, Glen Affric
- wander through ancient Caledonian forest on the Rothiemurchus Estate, in the heart of the Cairngorms
- make it to the summit of Ben Nevis, the UK’s highest mountain – and enjoy the view (if the clouds clear!)
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Inverness & Around, West of Inverness, Black Isle, Loch Ness, The Cairngorms, Aviemore & Around, Grantown-on-Spey, Kingussie & Newtonmore, Tomintoul & Around, Cockbridge, Tomintoul Road, Royal Deeside, The Angus Glens, Highland Perthshire, Dunkeld & Birnam, Pitlochry, Blair Atholl, Lochs Tummel & Rannoch, Aberfeldy, Kenmore, Loch Tay & Ben Lawers, Fortingall, Glen Lyon, West Highlands, Glen Coe, Kinlochleven, Fort William & Around, Ardnamurchan, Road to the Isles, Knoydart, Small Isles, Rum, Eigg, Canna, Muck.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.