San Francisco - Understand San Francisco and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
This chapter contains the San Francisco Today, History, Literary San Francisco, Visual Arts, San Francisco Music, San Francisco Architecture, Transportation, and Directory A–Z chapters from Lonely Planet’s San Francisco guidebook.
All the info you need on everything from history, arts and music to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for women travellers, gay and lesbian travel-lers, travellers with disabilities, and travellers with kids. And get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on tech, weed and green initiatives – the issues facing San Francisco today
- info on boom, bust, free speech and civil rights – all of the city’s history
- full coverage of the city’s eclectic and evolving arts scene
- details on poetry zines, novels and the best of literary San Francisco
Coverage includes: San Francisco Today, History, Literary San Francisco, Visual Arts, San Francisco Music, San Francisco Architecture, Transportation, and Directory A–Z.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout