San Francisco - The Marina, Fisherman's Wharf & the Piers (PDF Chapter)
This is the Marina, Fisherman’s Wharf & the Piers chapter from Lonely Planet’s San Francisco guidebook.
Since the gold rush, this waterfront has been the point of entry for new arrivals – and it remains a major attraction for sea lion antics and getaways to Alcatraz. The Marina has chic boutiques built and organic dining along the waterfront.
- stroll Golden Gate Bridge after the fog clears, revealing magnificent views of downtown with sailboats plying the waves below
- feel cold winds blow on Alcatraz as you imagine the misery of prison life – not to mention the ingenuity required for an escape
- giggle at the shenanigans of braying and barking sea lions at Pier 39, then retreat to the carnival-like attractions, novelty shops and tacky restaurants nearby
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.