San Francisco - The Haight & Hayes Valley (PDF Chapter)
This is the Haight & Hayes Valley chapter from Lonely Planet’s San Francisco guidebook.
Hippie idealism lives in the Haight, with street musicians, anarchist comic books and psy-chedelic murals galore. Browse local designs and go gourmet in Hayes Valley, where Zen monks and jazz legends drift down the sidewalks.
- bring back the Summer of Love: wear flowers, make a manifesto, sing folk songs on the corner of Haight and Ashbury Sts
- toast jazz giants between sets in front of Sandow Birk’s tiled music-history mural at SFJAZZ
- admire Victorian mansions that have hosted earthquake refugees and hippie communes, speakeasies and satanic rites in Alamo Square Park
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout