San Francisco - The Castro (PDF Chapter)
This is the Castro chapter from Lonely Planet’s San Francisco guidebook.
Mornings in the Castro are quiet, but it kicks into gear in afternoons and evenings, especially weekends, when crowds come to people-watch, shop and drink. At night, semiclad partiers and buttoned-up moviegoers mingle on the Castro’s wide sidewalks.
- catch a movie premiere, sing-along musical or drag show at the Castro Theatre, and hear the Mighty Wurlitzer’s pipes roar before showtime
- time-travel through 50 years in the Castro at the GLBT History Museum, America’s first gay museum
- feast on Melissa Perello’s renegade rustic cuisine at Frances
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.