San Francisco - North Beach & Chinatown (PDF Chapter)
This is the North Beach & Chinatown chapter from Lonely Planet’s San Francisco guidebook.
Dumplings and rare teas are served under pagoda roofs on Chinatown’s main streets; its historic back alleys are filled with temple incense, mah-jongg tile clatter and echoes of revolution. Wild parrots circle over the Italian cafes and bohemian bars of North Beach.
- hear mah-jongg tiles, temple gongs and Chinese orchestras as you wander story-filled Chinatown alleyways
- climb Filbert Street Steps past heckling parrots and fragrant gardens to panoramic, mural-lined Coit Tower
- reflect in the Poet’s Chair and celebrate free speech in City Lights Books
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout