San Francisco - Downtown, Civic Center & SoMa (PDF Chapter)
This is the Downtown, Civic Center & SoMa chapter from Lonely Planet’s San Francisco guidebook.
Downtown has it all: art galleries, swanky hotels, first-run theaters, malls and entertainment megaplexes. Civic Center combines great performance venues and Asian art treasures with dive bars and soup kitchens. Head to SoMa for high-tech deals, high art and dirty dance floors.
- graze the Northern California food scene with incredible bay views at Ferry Building, a showcase for the Bay Area’s food purveyors and organic farmers
- get lost in mesmerizing installation art at the new triple-sized SFMOMA – and discus it over museum-quality meals at In Situ
- watch impresario Michael Tilson Thomas conduct Beethoven from the tips of his toes at the Grammy-winning San Francisco Symphony
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout