San Francisco - Day Trips from San Francisco (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from San Francisco chapter from Lonely Planet’s San Francisco guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from San Francisco and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include Berkeley & Oakland and Muir Woods to Stinson Beach.
- The legendary counterculture hubs of ‘Bezerkely’ and ‘Oaktown’ keep busy reinventing music, art, history and politics – but dinnertime is sacred in this culinary hub
- Some of the world’s tallest trees reach skyward primordial Muir Woods near windblown Stinson Beach, just across the Golden Gate Bridge
- Picturesque bayside towns of Sausalito and Tiburon, perfect for strolling, are a fast ferry-ride away in Marin County. Meet for sunset drinks and seafood by the water
- Sun-washed valleys and cool coastal fog have turned Napa into an iconic wine-growing region – but redwood groves, organic farms and natural hot springs keep things diverse
- With its 19th-century California mission town, farm-to-table kitchens and pastoral wineries that welcome picnicking, Sonoma retains its folksy ways
Coverage includes: Berkeley & Oakland, Muir Woods to Stinson Beach, Sausalito & Tiburon, Napa Valley, Sonoma Valley.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout