San Antonio, Austin & Texas Road Trips - Heart of Texas Trip (PDF Chapter)
This is the Heart of Texas Trip chapter from Lonely Planet’s San Antonio, Austin & Texas Backcountry Road Trips Road Trips guidebook.
The big city sprawls of Houston and Dallas seem very far away as you drive through open land that’s barely been touched by humans. That feeling’s only enhanced when you travel back countless millennia at Palo Duro Canyon.
- see the ruins of a fort surrounded by wildflowers
- pick the right route with inspirational images and key trip highlights
- explore Palo Duro Canyon, second in size only to the Grand Canyon
- get around easily with colour maps and route directions in easy stages
- stroll through San Angelo’s historic district
- discover even more with detours and ways to link your trips
Coverage includes: Laredo, Uvalde, Leakey, Fort McKavett State Historical Park, San Angelo, Big Spring, Turkey, Canyon, Palo Duro Canyon State Park, Amarillo, Lubbock and Texas Hwy 70.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.