Russia - Western Siberia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Western Siberia chapter from Lonely Planet’s Russia guidebook.
Heading east from the Ural Mountains, the influence and reach of Moscow noticeably begins to wane as one enters Western Siberia. Unforgiving winters and a history of gulags give the re-gion a bad rap, but Western Siberia is surprisingly friendly, with plenty to offer the passing travel-ler.
- hike over the glacier that leads to the sublime and oft-frozen Blue Lake halfway up the daunting Mt Aktru
- feel Russia fade away and Central Asia come into play as you drive one of Russia’s most spectacular roads, Chuysky Trakt
- explor Siberia’s old capital, Tobolsk, with its glorious snow-white Kremlin and old town
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Tyumen, Tobolsk, Omsk, Novosibirsk, Tomsk, Novo-kuznetsk, Sheregesh, Altai, Barnaul, Biysk, Gorno-Altaisk, Lake Manzherok, Lake Teletskoe & Artybash, Chemal, Chuysky Trakt.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.