Russia - Western European Russia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Western European Russia chapter from Lonely Planet’s Russia guidebook.
This ancient, Arcadian region showcases Mother Russia at her most fertile: Tolstoy, Turge-nev, Dostoevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov and nothing less than the modern country itself were all born here. It’s a lofty legacy and nowhere does Western European Russia let you forget it.
- return to rural 19th-century Russia at Yasnaya Polyana, the leafy estate and final resting place of Leo Tolstoy
- explore Stary Izborsk, the country’s oldest stone fortress, and get a taste of Russian rural life while staying at a country guesthouse
- admire Smolensk’s stunning Assumption Cathedral and go on a museum crawl in the hilly Hero City
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: South of Moscow, Tula, Yelets, Voronezh, Oryol, North & West of Moscow, Smolensk, Tver, Torzhok, Veliky Novgorod, Staraya Russa ?????, Pskov, Stary Izborsk, Pechory.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.