Russia - Northern European Russia (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northern European Russia chapter from Lonely Planet’s Russia guidebook.
Russia’s far north, with its stunning and often harsh natural beauty, is a place of startling ex-tremes, best typified by the perpetual darkness of polar night and the midnight sun of polar day.
- hunt for the aurora borealis amid the sprawling Arctic wilderness on the Kola Peninsu-la
- discover the Solovetsky Islands’ long history, from ancient labyrinths to Stalin’s prisons
- wander the Arctic coastline in the ever-evocative fishing village of Teriberka
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Republic of Karelia, Petrozavodsk, Kizhi, Northern Lake Ladoga, White Sea, Kem & Rabocheostrovsk, Solovetsky Islands, Arkhangelsk, Kola Pen-insula, Apatity, Kirovsk, Lovozero, Teriberka, Murmansk, Vologda, Kargopol, Kenozero National Park.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation