Rome - Vatican City, Borgo & Prati (PDF Chapter)
This is the Vatican City, Borgo & Prati chapter from Lonely Planet’s Rome guide-book.
The Vatican, the world’s smallest sovereign state, sits over the river from Rome’s historic centre. Radiating out from the domed grandeur of St Peter’s Basilica, it boasts some of Italy’s most revered artworks, many in the Vatican Museums.
- gaze heavenwards in the Sistine Chapel at Michelangelo’s most celebrated masterpieces: his cinematic Genesis frescoes on the ceiling, and his terrifying vision of the Last Judg-ment on the western wall
- be blown away by the super-sized opulence of St Peter’s Basilica, the most important church in the Catholic world
- try to line up the columns in St Peter’s Square – it is possible
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout