Rome - San Giovanni & Testaccio (PDF Chapter)
This is the San Giovanni & Testaccio chapter from Lonely Planet’s Rome guide-book.
Encompassing two of Rome’s seven hills, this sweeping, multifaceted area offers everything from medieval churches and ancient ruins to colourful markets and popular trattorias. Its best-known drawcards are the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano and Terme di Caracalla.
- face up to the monumental splendour of Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, once Rome’s most important church
- be overawed by the colossal remnants of Terme di Caracalla, a vast baths complex
- look through the unmarked keyhole at Villa del Priorato di Malta to take in a magical view of the dome crowning St Peter’s Basilica
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout