Rome - Day Trips from Rome (PDF Chapter)
This is the Day Trips from Rome chapter from Lonely Planet’s Rome guidebook.
Want to escape the city? This chapter includes the very best excursions from Rome and they can each be completed in a day. Must-sees include Ostia Antica and Tivoli.
- wander through complete streets, gape at ancient toilets and clamber over an amphitheatre at the ancient port of Ostia Antica, Rome’s very own Pompeii
- hilltop Tivoli is home to two Unesco World Heritage sites: Villa Adriana, the emperor Hadri-an’s colossal country estate, and Villa d’Este, famous for its landscaped gardens and lav-ish fountains
- south of Rome, the pretty Coli Albani (Alban Hills) and its 13 towns have long provided a green escape for overheated Romans
- the evocative tombs and archaeological treasures of the once important Etruscan city of Cerveteri provide a window into a mysterious ancient world
- home to one of Italy’s most awe-inspiring Gothic cathedrals, the hilltop Umbrian town of Orvieto makes for a rewarding day trip
Coverage includes: Ostia Antica, Tivoli, Castelli Romani, Cerveteri, Orvieto.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout