Rome - Ancient Rome (PDF Chapter)
This is the Ancient Rome chapter from Lonely Planet’s Rome guidebook.
In a city of extraordinary beauty, Rome’s ancient heart stands out. It’s here you’ll find the great icons of the city’s past: the Colosseum; the Palatino; the forums; and the Campidoglio, the historic home of the Capitoline Museums.
- imagine the roaring crowds in Rome’s iconic amphitheatre, the Colosseum
- explore the haunting ruins of the Palatine Hill, Rome’s mythical birthplace and, in ancient times, its most exclusive neighbourhood
- go face to face with centuries of awe-inspiring art at the Capitoline Museums, the world’s oldest
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.