Romania & Bulgaria - Veliko Tarnovo & Central Mountains (PDF Chapter)
This is the Veliko Tarnovo & Central Mountains chapter from Lonely Planet’s Romania & Bulgaria guidebook.
Forbidding mountains and floral valleys compose Bulgaria’s heart. What unites its perilous hills and colourful villages is revolutionary history, etched into the landscape. The fortress at Veliko Tarnovo, once the capital of the Bulgarian tsars, remains the region’s crowning attraction.
- stride along medieval ramparts and cobbled lanes in Veliko Tarnovo
- breathe the scent of fresh rose oil in the Valley of the Roses
- drive between hilltop monuments, golden church domes and a Soviet UFO at Shipka Pass
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Shumen, Madara, Veliko Tarnovo & Around Veliko Tarnovo, Dryanovo Monastery, Tryavna, Etar, Lovech, Troyan, Hisar, Karlovo, Kazanlak, Shipka, Stara Zagora, Sliven.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.