Romania & Bulgaria - Transylvania (PDF Chapter)
This is the Transylvania chapter from Lonely Planet’s Romania & Bulgaria guide-book.
Transylvania’s forested valleys and Gothic castles are forever embedded in the popular imagination. Even before arriving, most visitors can picture this land of dark fairy-tales, where fog drapes like cobwebs over the Carpathian Mountains.
- trip along the cobbled lanes of the medieval town of Sighisoara
- marvel at lost-in-time citadels surrounded by green meadowland in the region's fortified Saxon villages, such as charming Biertan and Viscri
- hold your breath in a bear hide, or watch the mighty mammals recuperate, at Libearty Bear Sanctuary
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Prahova Valley, Sinaia, Bucegi Mountains, Predeal, Brasov & Around, Bran, Poiana Brasov, Zarnesti, Harman & Prejmer, Saxon Land, Sighisoara, Fortified Saxon Villages, Fagaras Mountains, Sibiu & Around, Szekely Land, Sfantu Gheorghe, Miercurea Ciuc, Gheorgheni, Odorheiu Secuiesc, Odorheiu Secuiesc, Targu Mures, Southwest Transylvania, Alba Iulia, Deva, Retezat Mountains, Northern Transylvania, Cluj-Napoca, Turda, Huedin Microregion, Apuseni Mountains, Bistrita.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience