Romania & Bulgaria - Plovdiv & the Southern Mountains (PDF Chapter)
This is the Plovdiv & the Southern Mountains chapter from Lonely Planet’s Romania & Bulgaria guidebook.
Spectacular mountains encircle spiritual sights in this swathe of inland Bulgaria. Europe’s oldest continuously inhabited city, Plovdiv, anchors the region. Quiet winemaking villages snooze in Plovdiv’s surrounds, while the Rodopi Mountains reach south, dotted with ski centres such as Pamporovo.
- stand awestruck among beautiful frescoes in the millennium-old Rila Monastery
- admire Roman ruins by day, then sashaying into the Kapana quarter’s arty nightlife, in Plovdiv
- thunder down pistes at Bulgaria’s premier winter-sports town, Bansko
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Rila Mountains, Rila Village, Rila Monastery, Bo-rovets, Pirin Mountains, Blagoevgrad, Bansko, Melnik, Bulgarian Thrace, Plovdiv, Rodopi Mountains, Chepelare, Pamporovo, Smolyan, Devin.
You are viewing a Multi Country GuideWhat is a Multi Country Guide?
Similar in style and format to our Country and Regional guidebooks, this series helps you focus on two or three neighbouring countries. Extensive pre-planning sections and in-depth coverage are combined with information and listings on history, culture, food, drink, shopping, nightlife and more.
- Packed with amazing experiences, author recommendations and local knowledge
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your perfect trip
- Our expert authors reveal the local secrets that will make your trip unique
- Full of cultural insights for a richer, more rewarding travel experience