Romania & Bulgaria - Maramures (PDF Chapter)
This is the Maramures chapter from Lonely Planet’s Romania & Bulgaria guide-book.
Maramures’ tapestry of pastureland, peopled by colourfully garbed peasants, jumps straight out of a Brothers Grimm fairy tale. Welcome to the heart of folkloric, medieval Romania, where the last peasant culture in Europe continues to thrive.
- chug through the beautiful Vaser Valley on Europe’s last steam-powered forest train at Vi-seu de Sus
- knock on the door of Budesti’s wooden church – one of the most beautiful (and largest) in Maramures
- wander through Merry Cemetery, Sapanta’s colourful and humorous forest of painted wooden grave markers
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Baia Mare & Around, Tara Chioarului, Sighetu Marmatiei, Mara Valley, Sapanta, Iza Valley, Viseu & Vaser Valleys, Borsa.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.