Rio de Janeiro - Barra da Tijuca & Western Rio (PDF Chapter)
This is the Barra da Tijuca & Western Rio chapter from Lonely Planet’s Rio de Janei-ro guidebook.
Barra is where much of the 2016 Summer Olympic Games were held (sadly the stadiums were largely abandoned afterwards and aren’t open to the public). The beach here is the real at-traction, a wide and lovely 15km-long stretch of shoreline.
- hike through tropical rainforest, enjoy memorable views from rocky lookouts and recover beneath cool waterfalls in Parque Nacional da Tijuca
- spend the day basking on the wide golden sands of one of Rio’s loveliest (and longest) beaches, Praia da Barra da Tijuca
- explore the lushly decadent gardens of Sítio Burle Marx, while learning about the epony-mous legendary landscape architect
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.