Provence & the Cote d'Azur - The Camargue (PDF Chapter)
This is the Camargue chapter from Lonely Planet’s Provence & the Cote d’Azur guidebook.
Forget all about time in this hauntingly beautiful part of Provence, roamed by black bulls, white horses and pink flamingos. This is slow-go country, a timeless wetland chequered with sil-ver salt pans, waterlogged rice paddies and traditional gardians (‘cowboys’).
- discover Arles’ rich Roman remains and Van Gogh connections
- watch rose-pink flamingos at wondrous Parc Ornithologique du Pont de Gau
- spot local flora and fauna from La Capelière’s many nature trails
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Arles, Camargue Countryside, Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer, Aigues-Mortes.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.