Provence & the Cote d'Azur - Haute-Provence & the Southern Alps (PDF Chapter)
This is the Haute-Provence & the Southern Alps chapter from Lonely Planet’s Provence & Cote d’Azur guidebook.
Just an hour’s drive north of Nice lie the Alps – France’s most famous mountain range and home to some of the region’s most unforgettable scenery. Make sure you keep the camera close to hand: there’s a picture around every corner.
- trace the unforgettable clifftop roads around the Gorges du Verdon (p)
- ride the Train des Pignes (p) through the mountains from Nice to Digne-les-Bains
- hike through the high mountains around St-Martin-Vésubie (p)
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Pays de Forcalquier, Forcalquier & Around, St-Michel l’Observatoire, Simiane la Rotonde, Banon, Vallée de la Durance, Gorges du Verdon, Lacs de Ste-Croix & de Quinson, Moustiers Ste-Marie & Around, Castellane & Around, Parc National du Mercantour, Digne-les-Bains, Vallée de L’Ubaye, Vallée du Haut Verdon, Vallée du Haut-Var, Vallée de la Tinée, Vallée de la Vésubie, Vallée de la Roya.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.