Provence & the Cote d'Azur - Bouches-du-Rhone (PDF Chapter)
This is the Bouches-du-Rhône chapter from Lonely Planet’s Provence & the Cote d’Azur guidebook.
The ‘mouths-of-the-Rhône’, where one of Europe’s great rivers splits before spilling its Swiss-Alpine snowmelt into the Mediterranean, is Provence’s most populous département. Its palpitating heart is Marseille, a gritty former Greek colony, France’s second-largest city, and a place of real cultural energy.
- appreciate world-class museums, 2600 years of history and an innovative cultural scene in Marseille
- hike through sun-warmed pines in the Parc National des Calanques, before plunging into secluded calanques (coves)
- submit to the full, five-course fish extravaganza in classic coastal restaurants like Le Rhul
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Marseille, Around Marseille, Les Calanques, Cassis, Côte Bleue, Pays d’Aix, Aix-en-Provence, Ventabren, Salon-de-Provence, Les Alpilles, St-Rémy-de-Provence, Les Baux-de-Provence.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.