Provence & the Cote d'Azur - Alpes-de-Haute-Provence (PDF Chapter)
This is the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence chapter from Lonely Planet’s Provence & the Cote d’Azur guidebook.
Rising like a tooth-lined jawbone along the border with Italy, just an hour’s drive north of Nice, lie the Alps – France’s most famous mountain range, a haven for mountaineers, hikers and wild-life spotters, and home to some of the region’s most unforgettable scenery.
- trace the unforgettable clifftop roads around the Gorges du Verdon, Europe’s Grand Can-yon
- try out canyoning, climbing and caving at stunning Vesúbia, a new activity complex in St-Martin-Vésubie
- ride the historic Train des Pignes through the mountains from Nice to Digne-les-Bains
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Pays de Forcalquier, Forcalquier, Banon, Vallée de la Durance, Gorges du Verdon, Moustiers Ste-Marie, Castellane, Parc National du Mercantour, Digne-les-Bains, Vallée de l’Ubaye, Vallée du Haut Verdon, Vallée du Haut-Var, Vallée de la Ti-née, Vallée de la Vésubie, Vallée de la Roya.
You are viewing a Regional GuideWhat is a Regional Guide?
Heading to a popular region within a country? These guides provide the extra depth and detail you need. Following the same format and style as our Country and Multi-country guides, they help you get under the area’s skin to discover its defining characteristics, like its cuisine, markets, culture and festivals.
- Create your perfect trip with our planning tools and suggested itineraries
- Our experts uncover hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Packed with inspiring images, walking tours and the best local knowledge
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.