Portugal - Understand Portugal and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
This chapter contains the Portugal Today, History, Religion, Art & Architecture, Saudade: the Portuguese Blues, Directory A-Z, Transport and Behind the Scenes chapters from Lonely Planet’s Portugal guidebook.
All the info you need on everything from history, religion, art and architecture to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for women travellers, gay and lesbian travellers, travellers with disabilities and travellers with kids. And get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on the earthquake which devastated Lisbon in 1755
- practical phrases to make your trip easier
- full coverage of the rise and fall of the Portuguese empire
- details on legendary Portuguese architects Álvaro Siza Vieira and Eduardo Souto de Moura
Coverage includes: Portugal Today, History - from one of Europe’s earliest places of settlement to a rocky road to modern stability, Religion, Art & Architecture, Saudade: the Portuguese Blues, Directory A-Z, Transport and Language.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation