Portugal - Understand Portugal and Survival Guide (PDF Chapter)
All the info you need on everything from history: conquerors and kings, demagogues and visionaries, natural disasters and coups d’état to flights, public transport, climate, money, the internet... you name it. Get tips for women travellers, gay and lesbian travellers and travellers with disabilities. And get the most out of your conversations with a handy language guide and glossary.
- a rundown on Portugal today: a new government, demographic challenges and green initiatives
- info on religion and the horrific Inquisition, super-secret societies and the great mystery of Fátima
- full coverage of Portugal’s art and architecture
- details on sauade, the Portuguese blues
Coverage includes: Portugal Today: A New Way Forward, Population Crisis and Going Green, History: Early Peoples, Roman Settlement, Moors & Christians, Burgundian Era, Age of Discoveries, Spanish Rule & Portuguese Revival, Dawn of a Republic, Rise & Fall of Salazar, From Revolution to Democracy, Rocky Road to Stability and Hard Times, Religion: Church & State, The Inquisition and Apparitions at Fátima, Art & Architecture: Palaeolithic Palette, Romans, Architectural Movements, Literary Giants, Art of the Tile and Fine Arts, Saudade: the Portuguese Blues: Roots of Saudade, Nation of Emigrants, Saudade in Literature, Saudade in Film and Fado, Directory A–Z, Transport, and Language.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.