Portugal - The Alentejo (PDF Chapter)
This is the Alentejo chapter from Lonely Planet’s Portugal guidebook.
You’ll be bewitched – Portugal’s largest region, covering a third of the country, truly captivates. Think dry, golden plains, rolling hillsides and lime-green vines. A rugged coastline, traditional whitewashed villages, marble towns and majestic medieval cities. Plus a proud if melancholic people,who valiantly cling to their local crafts.
- sample the history, culture and cuisine of historically rich Évora, a Unesco World Heritage–listed city
- explore gorgeous beaches in Vila Nova de Milfontes by day before feasting on seafood in moonlit plazas by night
- gaze out over the countryside from one of the Alentejo’s most enchanting hilltop fortress villages, Marvão
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Alto Alentejo, Évora, Around Évora, Reguengos de Monsaraz, Monsaraz, Estremoz, Vila Viçosa, Elvas, Portalegre, Castelo de Vide, Marvão, Baixo Alentejo, Beja, Mértola, Castro Verde, Serpa, Moura, Coastal Alentejo, Vila Nova de Milfontes, Zambujeira do Mar, Porto Côvo, Comporta.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.