Portugal - Estremadura & Ribatejo (PDF Chapter)
This is the Estremadura & Ribatejo chapter from Lonely Planet’s Portugal guidebook.
Stretching from the Rio Tejo to the Atlantic Ocean, Estremadura and Ribatejo constitute Portugal’s heartland, but their central importance goes beyond geography. These fertile lands have formed the backdrop for every major chapter in Portuguese history.
- travel back in time at Batalha’s awe-inspiring monastery. Alcobaça, too!
- marvel at Convento de Cristo, the 12th-century spiritual headquarters of the Knights Templar in Tomar.
- conquer the picturesque village of Óbidos on a 1560m walk around the top of its imposing medieval wall
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Estremadura,Ericeira, Peniche, Reserva Natural da Berlenga, Nazaré and Pinhal de Leiria.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.