Peru - Northern Highlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Northern Highlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Peru guidebook.
Vast tracts of unexplored jungle and mist-shrouded mountain ranges guard the secrets of the Northern Highlands like a suspicious custodian. Here, Andean peaks and a blanket of luxuriant forests stretch from the coast all the way to the deepest Amazonian jungles.
- take a spectacular cable-car ride up to Kuélap, founded by the pre-Inca Chachapoyas civi-lization
- trek through the cloud forest to the lofty but still little-visited Catarata de Gocta, near Chachapoyas
- enjoy hummingbirds, good coffee and one of the best museums in northern Peru in Lei-mebamba, an ultrafriendly small mountain town
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Cajamarca & Around, Celendín, Chachapoyas, Yalape, Gocta, Gran Vilaya, Karajía, La Jalca (Jalca Grande), Revash, Kuélap, Leimebamba, Pedro Ruíz, Jaén, Moyobamba, Tarapoto.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
We're aware of our impact on the environment and society, both as a business and as individuals.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.