Peru - Central Highlands (PDF Chapter)
This is the Central Highlands chapter from Lonely Planet’s Peru guidebook.
If it’s breathtaking ancient ruins or immersion in uninterrupted wilderness that you crave during your Peruvian voyage, listen up. The rocky, remote central highlands can match the country’s better-known destinations for these things and more: with the almost absolute absence of other travelers.
- hike out to the isolated northern Inca and pre-Inca ruins near Canta, La Unión or Tantamayo
- savor the taste of by-gone farming lifestyles with a stay at an age-old hacienda in Tarma
- pore over 25,000 colonial-era books in the convent of Santa Rosa de Ocopa at Concepción
- restaurants & accommodations
Coverage includes: Canta & Obrajillo, Huayllay & around, Cerro de Pasco, Huánuco, La Unión, Tantamayo, Tingo María, San Pedro de Casta & Marcahuasi, Tarma, Acobamba, San Pedro de Cajas, Río Mantaro Valley, Jauja, Concepción, Huancayo, Huancavelica, Ayacucho and Andahuaylas.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.