Peru - Arequipa & Canyon Country (PDF Chapter)
This is the Arequipa & Canyon Country chapter from Lonely Planet’s Peru guidebook.
Arequipa province is Peru’s big combo ticket, with authentic historical immersion and white-knuckle Andean adventure inhabiting the same breathing space. Ample urban distractions can be found in arty, audacious Arequipa; to the northwest are the epic Colca and Cotahuasi canyons.
- watch massive Andean condors glide by as they catch thermal uplifts above the al-most-sheer walls of the Cañón del Colca
- get a glimpse of austere, monastic life behind the high stone walls of the Monasterio de Santa Catalina in Arequipa
- dine the traditional, communal arequipeño way in picanterías
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Arequipa, Canyon Country, Reserva Nacional Salinas y Aguada Blanca, Cañón del Colca, El Valle de los Volcanes, Cañón del Cotahuasi.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation