Paris - Montparnasse & Southern Paris (PDF Chapter)
This is the Montparnasse & Southern Paris chapter from Lonely Planet’s Paris guidebook.
Here are the cafes, brasseries and backstreets, now swathed by urban grit, where some of the early-20th-century’s most seminal artists and writers hung out. The area’s tree-filled cemetery is a peaceful spot to escape to – and to visit the graves of many of those same visionaries.
- prowl the spine-prickling, skull-and-bone-packed subterranean tunnels of Paris’ creepy ossuary, Les Catacombes
- share the buzz, energy and zeal for innovation at Station F, the world’s largest start-up in-cubator, during a guided tour of this extraordinary piece of architecture
- visit the resting places of local luminaries, including Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir and Serge Gainsbourg, in the Cimetière du Montparnasse
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Sports & Activities.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout