Paris - Bastille & Eastern Paris (PDF Chapter)
This is the Bastille & Eastern Paris chapter from Lonely Planet’s Paris guidebook.
Bastille isn’t known for its sights, but it’s nonetheless a fascinating area to explore on foot. As it’s still authentically residential in most parts, a wander will give you a taste of everyday life in one of Paris’ most dynamic neighbourhoods.
- take in a backstage tour and opera, ballet or concert recital at the modern monolith of Opéra Bastille, on the landmark square where revolutionaries stormed the Bastille in 1789
- join Parisians for a weekend jog or stroll along the foliage-laced path of the elevated Promenade Plantée city park, uniquely at home atop a 19th-century railway viaduct
- explore Paris’ only medieval castle, Château de Vincennes, complete with prerequisite keep and sublime 16th-century royal chapel
- restaurants & bars
Coverage includes: Neighbourhood Top Five, Local Life, Getting There & Away, Sights, Eating, Drinking & Nightlife, Entertainment and Shopping.
You are viewing a City GuideWhat is a City Guide?
These are our most comprehensive, in-depth city guides, designed for visits lasting from a couple of days up to one week or more. Packed with extensive coverage, reviews, well-kept secrets, hidden gems and much more, they’re invaluable before and during your trip.
- Information-rich to ensure you get the most from your time away
- Organised by neighbourhood with detailed listings on everything
- from top sights and activities to shopping, nightlife and accommodation
- Includes an A-Z Survival Guide and extensive pre-planning sections
- Full colour, pull-out detailed city map plus colour maps throughout
Are you a poor college student who wants to travel the world? Register with Student Beans and get a discount.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.