Papua New Guinea & Solomon Islands - Island Provinces (PDF Chapter)
This is the Island Provinces chapter from Lonely Planet’s Papua New Guinea & Solomon Islands guidebook.
Largely untamed and raw, the islands of Papua New Guinea are not your classic beach paradise. Here you’ll live out your Indiana Jones fantasies, blazing a trail of your own amid wild jungles.
- dive or snorkel among some of the world’s most diverse and colourful coral reefs in Kimbe Bay
- scale Kombiu, aka Mt Mother, and feast your eyes on the 360-degree views of Rabaul, Gazelle Peninsula and the steaming vent of Tavurvur
- take a banana boat to an isolated surf break or uncrowded dive site near Kavieng
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: New Britain, New Britain Province, New Ireland Province, Kavieng, Lavongai (New Hanover) & East Islands, East Coast, Autonomous Region of Bougainville, Buka Island and Bougainville.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation