Norway - The Western Fjords (PDF Chapter)
This is the Western Fjords chapter from Lonely Planet’s Norway guidebook.
Scoured and gouged by glaciers, ancient and modern, Western Norway’s deep, sea-drowned valleys are covered by steep, rugged terrain. It’s a landscape that is so utterly unique and so pro-foundly beautiful that it is one of the most desirable destinations in the world.
- take a cruise along Norway’s most famous – and frequented – fjord, Geirangerfjord
- brave the hairpin turns and dizzying drops on the roller-coaster Trollstigen Road
- kayak on a glacial lake and crunch across the ancient ice at Nigardsbreen
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Sognefjorden, Aurlandsfjorden, Flåm, Aurland, Nærøyfjord, Lærdal, Lustrafjorden, Vik, Balestrand, Sogndal, Jostedalsbreen National Park, Fjær-land, Jostedalsbreen & Nigardsbreen, Briksdalsbreen & Kjenndalsbreen, Nordfjord, Olden, Loen, Stryn, The Fjord Coast, Florø, Kalvåg, Måløy, Selje & Selja Island, The Northern Fjords, Åndalsnes, Valldal, Geirangerfjord, Hellesylt, Norangsdalen, Runde, Ålesund, Molde, Bud, Averøy, Kristiansund.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation