*Cannot be combined with other offers. No code necessary - automatically added at checkout. See terms.
Norway - Svalbard (PDF Chapter)
This is the Svalbard chapter from Lonely Planet’s Norway guidebook.
Svalbard’s main settlement and entry point, Longyearbyen, is merely a taste of what lies beyond and the possibilities for exploring further are many: boat trips, glacier hikes, and expeditions by snowmobile or led by a team of huskies. Whichever you choose, coming here is like crossing some remote frontier of the mind: Svalbard is as close as most mortals can get to the North Pole and still capture its spirit.
- immerse yourself in the Arctic wilderness, hiking under the midnight sun
- head into the fjords of inner Svalbard with a boat trip to the Nordenskjöldbreen glacier
- hang with the huskies on a winter dog-sledding expedition
- restaurants & accommodation
Coverage includes: Longyearbyen & around, Barentsburg, Pyramiden, Ny Ålesund & around, Magdalenefjord, Prins Karls Forlandet, Krossfjorden, Danskøya, Moffen Island.
You are viewing a Country GuideWhat is a Country Guide?
Packed with detailed pre-planning information, amazing experiences, inspirational images, city walks and the best local knowledge, these are our most comprehensive country guides, designed to immerse you in a culture, discover the best sights and get off the beaten track.
- Planning features and itineraries give you the freedom to create your ideal trip
- Expert authors uncover local secrets and hidden gems to make your visit unique
- Includes comprehensive colour maps of even the smallest towns
- Detailed listings on everything from top sights and activities to eating, shopping, nightlife and accommodation
Limited time only. Join the party and get 2 for 1 on absolutely everything.
Don’t need the whole book? Choose just the chapters you want. PDF format only.
Free standard delivery* via UPS Ground is automatically applied to all orders shipped within the USA over US$40 and over $50 to Canada. Find out more.